northern suburb of Oakland, Emeryville became a city in its own
right largely through the efforts of businessman Joseph S.
Emery came to the
Bay Area in 1850 looking for gold, but eventually started a
stonework contracting business in San Francisco. In 1859, Emery
purchased a 185-acre tract of land north of Oakland and began to
develop projects in the area.
In 1871 Emery
financed the construction of the San Pablo Avenue Horse Cart
Railroad, which connected Oakland to Emeryville. He was also one
of the primary builders of the California-Nevada Railroad, which
began in Oakland, crossed the burgeoning Emery Tract, and
terminated in Orinda.
A community began to
develop around the Emery Tract, and the town of Emeryville was
officially incorporated in 1896, taking the name of its founder.
The Emeryville town hall was completed in 1903, and still stands
today. Emeryville's City Council and staff moved back into the
original town hall, located at 1333 Park Avenue, in June 2001.
With the addition of 17,500 square feet, the new administrative
building provides a large and convenient facility for city
employees and the public.
To learn more about
the history of Emeryville, contact the Emeryville Historical
Society at (510) 652-8276 or (510) 658-1083.
|Emeryville Chamber of Commerce
3980 Harlan Street · Emeryville · CA · 94608
Phone: 510-652-5223 · FAX: 510-652-4223
© Copyright 2004 by Emeryville Chamber of Commerce.
All rights reserved